Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Here fishy fishy!!

I don't know about you guys, but it has been a rough week for me.  I have had a migraine since Sunday night and I am just exhausted.  By the time I get home from work around 7:15 my energy and desire to cook something healthy for dinner quickly diminishes.  I was so pumped to find that this morning in my half awake state before heading to the gym that I threw some tilapia in the fridge to defrost.  BONUS for me.  I love that my half asleep self is looking out for my even more tired self at 7:15pm.  How do I not remember that?  No clue but it made for a quick, easy and most importantly healthy dinner.  I pre-heated the oven to 375, sprayed my cookie sheet with olive oil spray and seasoned my fishy with salt, pepper and adoba seasoning.  Meanwhile I quickly boiled some asparagus and started a quick hollandaise sauce.


 


If you have never cooked asparagus before it is really easy however there is one important key to it.  Get rid of the woody ends.  GROSS!  If you hold the asparagus in your hands and bend it, the asparagus will break at its natural point.  This will get rid of the woody, gross ends.  Once you have bent one you can cut the rest to that size.  I like my veggies crispy too.  I boiled my asparagus for 5 mins and then threw them in an ice bath.  This stops the cooking process and keeps the asparagus green and yummy looking. 

Hollandaise sauce...seems hard but it is so easy.  The one important point to make with hollandaise sauce it that it must, MUST be cooked in a double boiler.  The base of this sauce is egg yolk, therefore you don't want to end of up scrambled eggs.  I followed these simple steps to create this delicious sauce:
  1. Separate one egg yolk ( i freeze the egg white and use for an omelet)
  2. Whisk the yolk and 1 tablespoon of water in a bowl
  3. Heat some water in the bottom portion of your double boiler (tip here, measure to make sure the water does not touch the bowl you put on top of this pan)
  4. Place your bowl with the yolk on top of the pan with the warm water.  Whisk constantly under the sauce thickens.  You will know the sauce is done when it coats the back of a spoon
  5. Pull your bowl off the heat and continue to whisk to cool the sauce a little
  6. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons melted butter, salt and pepper to taste




From start to finish this meal took about 30 minutes.  I finished this meal off with a glass of moscato wine and easy clean up!  Nutrition facts for this meal is as follows:

Calories199.0
  Total Fat8.0 g
     Saturated Fat4.1 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.4 g
     Monounsaturated Fat1.6 g
  Cholesterol53.2 mg
  Sodium487.9 mg
  Potassium469.5 mg
  Total Carbohydrate10.9 g
     Dietary Fiber3.5 g
     Sugars0.0 g
  Protein24.9 g
 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the explanation on hollandaise, Karin! I've never tried it, but you made it look pretty easy! That looks like a pretty delicious and satisfying meal for only 200 calories.

    ReplyDelete