Ok enough about my wierdness! :) I read about this recipe on one of my favorite blogs. According to her it is the best Chinese food recipe she has found to make at home. While I love it i do not get it often therefore I was chomping at the bit to try this one. This is now the second time I have made this recipe and it is a keeper for sure. This recipe also heats up great! I made some brown rice and served it on the side. The sauce does dry up a little bit after the dish cools down so if you are a sauce lover I would suggest making extra :)
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Bake Time: 1 hour
For the Chicken:
3-4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar (preferably rice or white)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Working in two batches, toss the chicken pieces in cornstarch and then coat with the egg. Heat the oil over medium-high heat and again in two batches, brown the chicken, turning it so that all sides are browned.
4. Place the chicken in a single layer in a 9×13 baking dish.
5. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and pour evenly over the chicken. Turn the chicken to ensure each piece is coated.
6. Bake for 1 hour, turning the chicken every 15 minutes.
Enjoy my friends!!