Monday, August 8, 2011

Some like it sweet, some like it sour....i like both

Chinese food....I have a love/hate relationship with it.  I get extremely grossed out by ordering it from those little hole in the wall places.  I don't know the quality of the meat they are using, the amount of sodium they are adding to their food and most importantly the cleanliness of the establishment.  Yes this holds true for all restaurants however it seems to bother me the most with Chinese places.  I don't know why.....I am strange.  Most of you know about my chicken phobia.  One to many bad experiences and I am not a chicken snob. I pretty much will only eat it if I cook it.  I get so grossed out by the fat and veins.  Enough to make me not eat it and eat vegetarian half of the time.  It has been years that I have been like this I honestly don't think it will change.  I have come to terms with it and most of my friends are aware of this issue and accept it! :)  I try not to be obvious when I am a dinner guest but sometimes it is to much for me to bare.

Ok enough about my wierdness! :)  I read about this recipe on one of my favorite blogs.  According to her it is the best Chinese food recipe she has found to make at home.  While I love it i do not get it often therefore I was chomping at the bit to try this one.  This is now the second time I have made this recipe and it is a keeper for sure.  This recipe also heats up great!  I made some brown rice and served it on the side.  The sauce does dry up a little bit after the dish cools down so if you are a sauce lover I would suggest making extra :)

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 30 minutes | Bake Time: 1 hour

For the Chicken:
3-4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil

For the Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar (preferably rice or white)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Season chicken with salt and pepper.



3. Working in two batches, toss the chicken pieces in cornstarch and then coat with the egg. Heat the oil over medium-high heat and again in two batches, brown the chicken, turning it so that all sides are browned.




4. Place the chicken in a single layer in a 9×13 baking dish.

5. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and pour evenly over the chicken. Turn the chicken to ensure each piece is coated.



6. Bake for 1 hour, turning the chicken every 15 minutes.


Enjoy my friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment