Sunday, November 13, 2011

Zest! - A review

Happy Sunday friends!

My weekend was wonderful.  My dad came to visit!!  The past few times I have gone to Valpo he has been out of town so I have been unable to see him for a couple months.  I have been missing him a lot so I was really looking forward to him coming to visit.  He is the best dad in the world.  I may be a little biased but he is always there for me good or bad.  He is so kind, loving and understanding.  He was just want I needed this weekend. 

Friday night when he got into town I took him to a restaurant near my apartment in Broadripple called Zest! Exciting Food Creations.  It was AMAZING!  It is a little pricey so bring mom or dad when they come into town ;)  But it was very tasty and I will absolutely be going back.  

The story behind the restaurant "is a unique locally-owned restaurant and caterer. The imaginative concept of 'Downhome Goes Uptown' gives lovers of unique food and warm service memorable dining experience".  Guy Fieri visited the restaurant on his show Diners, Diners, and Drives and you know my love for that show.  When walking into the place it is small but cute and inviting.  We had reservations at 6 but did not need them.  The place was practically empty but started to fill up once we were leaving.  The service was friendly and fairly quick.  Our waiter provided a couple suggestions and visited often.  The menu is limited but imaginative. There were 7 main entrees to choose from with 3 or 4 specials.  I of course couldn't choose between 3 different entrees.  

 I ended up picked the

Chick Pea Cakes
pan-seared shiitakes, lemon-pistachio
couscous, fresh herb pesto, crispy spiced
chick peas, grilled asparagus


 Dad (with a mouthful)  chose the

5-Hour Braised Short Ribs
rosemary-gorgonzola polenta,
roasted brussels sprouts
Check out the size of that bone!!!






We both thought our meals were absolutely fantastic!!  After we finished our meals we headed to Morty's comedy club where we met up with some of my co-workers.  We were there for the semi-finals of some contest and Comcast was there to film it.  A total of 6 comedians performed and we picked 2 of the best.  Morty's closed down for a bit and then re-opened a couple of months ago.  I was happy to see that it is now non smoking and still funny.  We had a great time.  Every comedy show I have ever been to I for some reason get picked on.  This comedy show was no exception.  We were seated right next to the stage and I just knew I was in trouble.  I got through the first 4 comedians with flying colors.  Then when the fifth stepped on stage I was a goner.  He kept looking in my direction and I just knew he was going to call me out on something.  Sure enough near the end of his skit he did.  Something about Bart Simpson and Barney.  I don't really remember as I was totally embarrassed and couldn't hear anything!  Saturday morning Dad and I headed to the Broadripple Farmer's Market to pick up some items for dinner.  The Farmer's Market in Valpo is a tad small so I wanted my dad to see a larger one.  Sadly we are nearing the end of the season and so there weren't as many vendors as normal.  Despite that dad still enjoyed it.  We also visited Fresh Market for the remainder of my ingredients for dinner (blog post to come) and dad was OBSESSED with this place.  I have a strong love for this place as well and knew dad would enjoy.  The moment we walked in he was excited.  He left me in the produce section and I didn't see him again for 15 minutes.  They don't have markets like this in Valpo so he enjoyed himself.  We had lunch at Taste and then spent the rest of the day napping, watching college football and watching a slide show of 800 pictures from his recent cruise in Europe.  It was a great relaxing weekend and just what I needed to feel recharged ready for the week.  Hope ya'all enjoyed your weekend.

Cheers!!

xoxox





No comments:

Post a Comment