Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Flavors

Greetings friends!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.  I was home in Valpo this weekend.  It was my best friend Erin's birthday and I wanted to spend some time with her.  We got to spend a lot of quality time together even though little Cayden boy had the chicken pox.

I also got to spend a lot of quality time with my sister Rachel and her hubby David.  They two of my most favorite people in the world and I love being able to just hang out with them.  I am sad when I have to leave all the people I love in Valpo but my home is Indy and love living here.


Once back in Indy it was time to prepare for the week.  I ran to the store and got all the fixins for Pumpkin-Black Bean Soup .  As you know from previous blog posts I am obsessed with pumpkin this time of year.  The last time I went to the store they did not have my favorite brand, Libbys.  This time.....JACKPOT....I found a whole shelf.  I swear there was a light shining above the shelves and there was music playing.  I stocked up naturally :)  HOORAY.  There may be a piece of pie on this can but its pure pumpkin.  The sweet pumpkin is delicious but has SO much added sugar so I would rather buy the pure stuff.  


Ok now back to my recipe.  I heart pumpkin and I heart black beans.  The recipe sounded a little strange but I just had to try this.

Ingredients


  • 1 1/2 cups drained diced canned tomatoes
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • Pumpkin seed kernels (optional)

Preparation


  • Place tomatoes and beans in a food processor; process until about half the beans are smooth. Set aside. 



  • Heat oil in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • Add cumin and garlic; saute 1 minute. 

  • Add bean mixture, broth, and next 3 ingredients (through pumpkin); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in sherry. 


  • Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons queso fresco and about 1 tablespoon green onions. Garnish with pumpkin seed kernels, if desired.

 And wha-la (how the h*ll do you spell that??) lunch for the entire week and dinner tonight!


And here is the pretty finished product.  

                   
I went to Marsh to pick up my ingredients and they do not carry queso fresco.  So I substituted feta.  I am sure the queso would have been oh so yummy but the feta did the trick too.  It added a nice tang to the soup.  Now this might not be the prettiest soup in the world but it really was pretty good.  The pumpkin flavor is very subtle.  Two of my favorite things combined into one....it doesn't get much better then that.  I would say a great way to end my weekend.  Laundry, unpacking, packing my lunch & snacks for tomorrow and packing my gym bag are calling my name.  Oye still lots to do tonight and its already 8:30!  Check ya later kids!

xoxoxo

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 175
  • Calories from fat: 16%
  • Fat: 3.1g
  • Saturated fat: 1.2g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
  • Protein: 10g
  • Carbohydrate: 29.2g
  • Fiber: 9.3g
  • Cholesterol: 6mg
  • Iron: 3mg
  • Sodium: 785mg
  • Calcium: 139mg

No comments:

Post a Comment