Sunday, June 2, 2013

Jucing: Day 1

Welcome back friends!

As I stated in my last blog post, I have presented myself with a 30 day challenge.  30 days of juicing!  I watched a documentary called Fat sick and nearly dead and decided to follow in Joe's (the author's) footsteps.  I have decided to blog my journey to keep me accountable.  I don't know how many people will read this but in putting my journey in writing it helps me feel as though others are going through the process with me.

Ok so lets get to the goods.  DAY 1!  I was actually really excited to start and couldn't wait to get my new juicer started up and juicing.  I am following the plan off of Joe's website and have extended it to 30 days.  In his 15 day plan you do 5 days of juicing and eating following by just juice and finally ended with 5 days of juicing and eating.  I did a lot of research and found someone who had purchased the 30 day plan.  For the 30 day plan you simply extend the middle phase and continue just juicing.  Now in the documentary Joe did this challenge for 60 days.  I am committing to 30 days at this point and will access at the end of my journey. 

I have finished day 1 and I feel ok.  I have tried to follow the plan exactly but have already noticed that it is going to be difficult.  Now the difficult part is not the juicing as I would think, it is actually the food he wants you to eat.  I will elaborate a little later when I get to that portion of my day.

Saturday I did my grocery shopping and purchased my juicer so that I was all ready to get started today.  Below is a picture of my produce haul.  I did have a couple items already on hand that are not pictured.  But not many.  As you can see.....ITS A LOT.  My whole fridge is totally full.  Now lets talk about the price of this new crazy obsession of mine.  It's going to cost a lot.  I picked a juicer that was low to mid range in price.  With my bed bath and beyond coupon my Breville juicer was about $130.  All of the produce below was close to $90.  Now that is a lot yes, however I went through my bank statements for the past 3 months and honestly....I spent a shit ton on food.  I spend a lot at the grocery store and even more going out to eat with friends and drive thru.  I have promised myself that I am going to give this a try 100%.  What that means is that I will not be going out to eat this entire month.


Every morning Joe has you start with warm water with a slice of lemon and a knob of ginger.  It was nothing spectacular but it was sort of refreshing.  The ginger really gives the drink a spicy undertone and I kinda like it.  We will see what my feelings are after drinking it for 30 days.  While I sipped my tea I put this beauty in the oven.


This "crisp" was simply 1 cup of blueberries, 2 apples, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 3 TBSP raisins, and coconut oil to coat dish.

This breakfast was just ok.  The cinnamon I have is the good stuff from Penzey's and it is pretty powerful.  So it was a tad to much for me but the flavor overall was pretty decent.  Morning and afternoon snack consisted of juice containing carrots, apples and ginger.


Isn't it pretty?!?!  This juice was delish!  I really enjoyed it and it was so refreshing.  I put the other half in the fridge and was a little concerned on the how it was going to taste and what the consistency was going to be.  When I grabbed it from the fridge this afternoon it looked NASTY! It was separated and did not look appetizing at all.  I gave the bottle a shake and hoped for the best.  To my surprise it tasted just as great as it did this morning.

So remember when I said I wasn't going to eat out for the entire month.  Well day 1 I was presented with a challenge.  Today is my friend Glenda's birthday and I wanted to see her.  She wanted to grab lunch.  We made these plans before I decided to start this juice and after I had done my produce overhaul.  I decided that I couldn't fail on day 1 and that I would still meet up with her for lunch but would only go and be social.  Shockingly I did not order anything.  I sipped my water while we caught up and Glenda enjoyed a yummy looking salad.  Now I could have ordered a salad and tried to mimic what Joe wanted me to eat for lunch but I didn't want to.  It was the principle of the fact that I would feel like I am failing day 1.  And I am not ok with that right now.  So I came home and made this yummy salad.  Greens, cucs, toms, avocado, carrots, S&P, EVOO and balsamic vinegar.  The salad was good however sadly my avocado was not ripe.  I cut it up anyway and threw it in the bowl.  It was virtually inedible.  So I picked around that.  But it was a satisfying salad.  I also made sweet potato and carrot "fries".


So after I drank my afternoon juice I honestly just wasn't hungry.  I can actually honestly say that I have not felt all that hungry today.  I literally can't believe it.  How is it that I have barely eaten anything but yet don't really feel hungry?  No clue but this never happens to me.  I can eat at all times.  When dinnertime rolled around Joe's menu states to eat the leftover "fries", another salad and sauteed greens.  I literally could not fathom eating that much greens.  Especially when I was not even hungry.  So I threw the leftover "fries" in the oven and sauteed some kale up with garlic and EVOO.  The "fries" were as tasty as they were at lunch.  The greens on the other hand.....PUKE.  I ate one bite and almost spit it out.  I am not a fan of bitter greens.  AT ALL!  I have made one salad with kale that was tolerable but every other way I have tried it, I have hated.  I have never tried sauteed greens so I thought I would give it a try.  UHH NEGATIVE, NOT HAPPENING.  I don't care how good they are for you, I can't do it.  I just can't.  Tomorrow I know I need to juice some kale.  Dear lord help me because I can't imagine that will be tasty!


All in all day 1 has been  a success.  I feel good, have plenty of energy and am happy that I completed the first day.  I am happy I decided to start on a Sunday to get my bearings.  I am thankfully working from home tomorrow and will be able to plan ahead for the rest of the week.  It is going to be really interesting to juice in the morning and bring them all to work.  In the meantime I will plan as much as I can in advance and go with the flow for the rest.  I am trying not to put a ton of pressure on myself, however I really want to complete this.  I was to prove to myself that I CAN do this.  How is it that everyone else seems to believe in me but I don't?  I have failed so many times and know that a weight loss journey no matter what you are doing is difficult.  SO DIFFICULT.  If you have never been overweight, you will never understand.  This is literally the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  I would love to battle this for the last time and just maintain.  I also realistically know that I will battle this the rest of my life.  I will have to monitor every damn morsel I put into my body.  I just hope when I get to that point it will be a little easier.  Welp, enough for today.  I will check in again soon to let y'all know how I am doing!

Peace, KC

No comments:

Post a Comment