Monday, June 3, 2013

Juicing: Day 2

Day 2!

Well, I made it through day 2.  What was I thinking in doing this challenge?  I am only on day 2 and I am already thinking "How the hell am I going to make it through 30 days".  OYE!  I am going to try to power through, that is how.....I think.

My morning started out with the lemon, ginger water while I caught up on work email and started my day.  I threw in my leftover berry "crisp" from yesterday morning into oven and enjoyed it while I worked.  I later made the celery, kale and apple juice.  Now this was supposed to have pear instead of apple but I didn't buy any pears.  I followed the grocery list that came with the plan and it didn't have pears listed. WTF! I bought more than enough apples so I knew I just needed to replace the pear with something sweet.  Now if you remember my kale saute from last night you can imagine my excitement to try this.





So pretty right! I was tempted to hold my nose and take the first drink.  If it tasted anything like last nights debacle I knew I would be throwing it down the drain.  Surprisingly the first taste was pretty decent.  Now is this going to be my favorite juice, probably not.  But I could drink it and I didn't have to chug it or worse yet throw it away.  You can see at the bottom that it is a tad clearer.  This juice separated very quickly.  I had to keep swirling to keep it all mixed up.

Lunch...oh dear lord lunch.  Again I was supposed to have a kale salad but I honestly just couldn't do it.  I am on day 2 and so over kale.  I don't think I am going to be able to do kale any other way except for juicing.  The other half of lunch was a raw carrot soup.  I was excited for this soup.  I was thinking oh yay it will taste like the juice from yesterday.  That couldn't have been farther from the truth.

\

If you can't tell from the picture it is pretty thick.  This was basically a smoothie that I made in the blender.  It has carrots (ummm like 30 juiced), avocado, honey, S&P, honey, ginger & cayenne.  Sounds good right?  WRONG!  I took a big ole' sip since I was so excited and about spit it out all over my beige floor.  PUKE! It was way to sweet and oh man....it was THICK!  The below progress took me over an hour to get through.  I was trying so hard to like it and drink it.  I really knew I needed to "eat" this since I wasn't going to make the kale salad.  I just couldn't do it.


Since I only drank half of my "soup" and didn't make the kale salad, I was definitely hungry when it was early afternoon.  Afternoon snack was the other half of my green juice and it was still decent.  It was very separated in the fridge but with a little shake it was good to go.  For dinner Acorn squash stuffed with mushrooms & sage and a green detox soup. 


I LOVED this dinner!  I am huge fan of spaghetti squash and this was exactly like that.  The filling is simply mushrooms, EVOO, onion, garlic and fresh sage.  Sage is up there in my top 3 favorite herbs.  And then the fact that I was using fresh sage, forget it.  I knew I was going to at least like the filling.  This is easily a substitute for a fatty thanksgiving dinner.  It embodied the flavors you crave around that time of year.  I will have to try and remember this!  The second half of my dinner was a green detox soup.


Can you see all that KALE in there? Seriously with the damn kale?  When I read this recipe I was so sad.  Kale...again.  BOO!  The soup also has leeks, garlic, zucchini, broccoli and veggie stock.  I boiled it till the zucchini was tender and then buzzed it up with my immersion blender.  Again, I was terrified.  There was about 6 stalks of kale in there and I really didn't think the rest of it was enough to cover up that nasty bitter taste.  Well, I was wrong.  I could barely taste the kale and the soup just reminded me of broccoli soup.  I realize it looks like snot and it is not appetizing but I will be able to eat this again.

Overall, my day was good.  I was not starving all day like I have thought I would be.  I mean of course I got hungry every couple of hours when it was time for my next meal.  But I am not overwhelmingly hungry.  I don't feel tired and I find that my energy level is about normal.  I read that others that have done this challenge have slept great.  BRING IT ON.  If I don't benefit from anything but sleeping better this will be worth it to me.

Tomorrow is going to be difficult.  I need to go into the office *gasp* and I am worried about how I am going to handle making everything in the morning.  If you juice to early, nutrients are lost.  So the night before is out.  I am going to need to prep every morning.  Which means I need to wake up earlier......DISLIKE.  Since I don't sleep well most nights it is very difficult for me to get up any earlier than I have to.  I think I am going to re-arrange the meal plan a little for tomorrow to make it a tad easier on myself.  Well time to drink my herbal tea and call it a night soon.

Thanks for listening :)

Karin



No comments:

Post a Comment